USCIS published a revised version of Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. employers may continue using Form I-9 with a revision date of 03/08/2013 N. through Jan. 21, 2017. By Jan. 22, 2017, employers must use the revised form.
These are some of the changes in the new version:
- Employees only need to provide other last names used in Section 1, rather than all names used.
- The certification in Section 1 for certain foreign nationals takes less time to complete.
- There are additional spaces to enter multiple preparers and translators.
- There is a dedicated area to enter additional information that employers have been required to notate in the margins of the form.
Also, when the revised Form I-9 is completed on a computer, users will see:
- Checks to certain fields to ensure information is entered correctly.
- Drop-down lists and calendars.
- Instructions on the screen that users can access to complete each field.
- Buttons that will allow users to access the instructions electronically, print the form, and clear the form to start over.
Remember to register for the EMPTRUST webinar on December 8th, at 2 PM EST to learn about the new Form I-9 and staty up to date. This is free to all our customers and comes with lots of practical examples on improving compliance.